Also found in: Thesaurus, 块环球估配资_在线配资炒股:Financial, Idioms, 块环球估配资_在线配资炒股:Encyclopedia, 块环球估配资_在线配资炒股:Wikipedia.
v. fad·ed, fad·ing, fades
1. To lose brightness, loudness, or brilliance gradually: The lights and music faded as we set sail from the harbor.
2. To lose freshness; wither: summer flowers that had faded.
3. To lose strength or vitality; wane: youthful energy that had faded over the years.
4. To disappear gradually; vanish: a hope that faded. See Synonyms at 块环球估配资_在线配资炒股: disappear.
5. Sports To swerve from a straight course, especially in the direction of a slice.
6. Football To move back from the line of scrimmage. Used of a quarterback.
1. To cause to lose brightness, freshness, or strength: Exposure to sunlight has faded the carpet.
2. Sports To hit (a golf ball, for instance) with a moderate, usually controlled slice.
3. Games To meet the bet of (an opposing player) in dice.
1. The act of fading.
2. A gradual dimming or increase in the brightness or loudness of a light source or audio signal.
3. A transition in a cinematic work or slide presentation in which the image gradually appears on or disappears from a blank screen.
4. Sports A moderate, usually controlled slice, as in golf.
5. A control mechanism on a stereo that adjusts the distribution of power between the front and rear channels.
6. A style of haircut in which the hair is cut close to the sides and back of the head and trimmed to result in gradually longer lengths toward the top of the head.
To appear or cause to appear gradually from silence or darkness, especially as a transition in a cinematic work, audio recording, or performance.
To diminish gradually to silence or darkness, especially as a transition in a cinematic work, audio recording, or performance.
[Middle English faden, from Old French fader, from fade, faded, probably from Vulgar Latin *fatidus, alteration of Latin fatuus, insipid.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
less colourful than previously
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||faded - having lost freshness or brilliance of color; "sun-bleached deck chairs"; "faded jeans"; "a very pale washed-out blue"; "washy colors"|
colorless, colourless - weak in color; not colorful
|2.||faded - reduced in strength; "the faded tones of an old recording"|
块环球估配资_在线配资炒股:decreased, reduced - made less in size or amount or degree
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
adjective discoloured, pale, bleached, 块环球估配资_在线配资炒股:washed out, dull, dim, 块环球估配资_在线配资炒股:indistinct, 块环球估配资_在线配资炒股:etiolated, lustreless a girl in a faded dress
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
Showing signs of wear and tear or neglect:
块环球估配资_在线配资炒股:bedraggled, 块环球估配资_在线配资炒股:broken-down, decaying, decrepit, 块环球估配资_在线配资炒股:dilapidated, dingy, down-at-heel, mangy, rundown, scrubby, scruffy, seedy, shabby, shoddy, sleazy, tattered, tatty, 块环球估配资_在线配资炒股:threadbare.
Idioms: all the worse for wear, gone to pot, past cure.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
faded[ˈfeɪdɪd] ADJ [garment] → 块环球估配资_在线配资炒股:descolorido, desteñido; [colour] → apagado, desvaído; [photograph] → desvaído; [plant, glory] → marchito
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
faded[ˈfædɪd] adj [blue, green, black] → passé(e); [fabric, object] → décoloré(e); [photograph] → jauni(e)
a pair of faded jeans → un jean délavé
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
adj photograph, grandeur → verblasst; colour, material → verblasst, 块环球估配资_在线配资炒股:verblichen; (after exposure to light) → verschossen; flowers, beauty → verblüht; a pair of faded jeans → 块环球估配资_在线配资炒股:verblichene Jeans pl
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
faded[ˈfeɪdɪd] adj (material) → scolorito/a; (flower, beauty) → sfiorito/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995